Stuffed Idli is a delicious and healthy snack. It is a south Indian dish but I have tried something different to give it a new taste.For the filling, I had used green peas, potatoes and paneer stuffing which makes it unique and also flavorful. I would like to serve stuffed Idli with tea or as a snack with chutney. This would also be a great lunch box meal as it is very healthy and tasy.
- 1 cup Suji (Rava, samolina)
- 1/2 cup yogurt (dahi, curd)
- 3/4 cup water (as needed)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- A Pinch of baking soda
- 1/2 cup Green Peas
- 1/2 cup Boiled and smashed Potatoes
- 1 Chopped Onion
- 2 Tbsp green chilies
- 1 tsp ginger and garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp Rai/Mustard seeds
- 1/8 tsp Hing
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Salt
- Take a pan boil some water and add peas into it to make them soft.
- Mix mashed Boiled potatoes and add peas to it.
- Take another pan and heat 1 tbsp of oil into it add a pinch of Rai, cumin seeds when they splutters add sooji and roast it for 2 minutes and let it cool.
- Take another pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil add turmeric powder, smash potatoes, peas, garam masala, hing and roast it for 2 minutes, keep this mixture to get cool.
- Mix sooji, salt, and yogurt, a pinch of baking soda, add water as needed to make a pancake-like batter. Set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- To make stuffed idli, grease the idly plate. Immediately begin pouring into the Idli trays.
- Pour about 1 tablespoon of batter and spread evenly.
- Now take 2 tbsp of Masala and put it on the batter and again pour 1 tbsp of Idli batter over the Masala.
- Repeat it for other idlies.
- Place the stand into the water( boiling water) at medium flame.
- Cover the pot and steam idles for about 10 minutes.
- Insert a tooth pick in the center of one idli. If the fork comes out clean, remove the stand from the water. Do not overcook idlies, as they will lose their softness and dry out as they cool.
- Cool for just a few minutes before removing each individual idli. They should come out easily and not stick to the mold. Idles should be spongy and soft.
- Serve Idlies with green chutney and sauces.